Re: Using ProxyPass exclude with directory containing .htaccess

Vincent Bray wrote:
On 10/12/2007, Paul <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've successfully been using ProxyPass to serve my application. I've
excluded the 'common' directory using

ProxyPass /common/ !

However, if I put an .htaccess file in that common directory, it no
longer excludes it from the proxy pass - the request is sent to my
application where it gets a 404.

How can I exclude this directory from being proxied, and protect it with
basic authentication?

You appear to have made the common mistake of assuming that htaccess
files are needed for basic authentication. They're not. Just put
whatever's in the htaccess file in a Directory block in your main
config file.

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2006/08/01/apache_undead/

Thanks, I have tried using <Directory> but I haven't got it to prompt for a username and password yet. I just copied the contents of .htaccess:

<Directory /var/www/mysite/stats>
AuthType Basic
AuthName 'Members Only'
AuthUserFile /var/www/mysite/.htpasswd
<limit GET PUT POST>
require valid-user
</limit>
</Directory>

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll keep trying...