Howto use an other file than index.html

Hi,

I am using index.html as my directory index file, but I would like to
use another file and can't get it working.

This is from my httpd.conf:

<IfModule mod_dir.c>

    DirectoryIndex index.html

</IfModule>

If I change index.html to another file name I get the error "Not Found

The requested URL / was not found on this server." despite that the
file exits in the directory from where my files are served. The file
is owner, group and world readable. The file can be served by apache,
but just not as an index file. I also spelled the name correctly.
Everything works fine if I use the index.html file.

I have already searched via the faq and google etc, but I was unable
to find a solution.

In case it is needed my httpd.conf file is simmilair to the one found
on this page:

http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1786

Can someone help me to resolve this please?

Thanks :)

Ben