Re: virtual hosts and authentication

Try moving the location block end tag to encompass the Rewrite rule for
the header like so:

<VirtualHost *:80>
     DocumentRoot /srv/www/htdocs/
     ServerAdmin robert@xxxxxxxxxx
     ServerName www.testserver.ch
     CustomLog     /var/log/apache2/testserver-access.log combined
     ErrorLog      /var/log/apache2/testserver-error.log
     LogLevel warn

     <Location />

 	AuthType Basic
 	AuthName "By Invitation Only"
 	AuthUserFile /srv/www/htdocs/passwd/passwords
 	AuthGroupFile /srv/www/htdocs/passwd/groups
 	require group DieGruppe

     # don't loose time with IP address lookups
     HostnameLookups Off

     # needed for named virtual hosts
     UseCanonicalName Off

     RewriteEngine On
     # (This RewriteRule doesn't actually rewrite anything URL-wise.)
     RewriteCond %{LA-U:REMOTE_USER} (.+)
     RewriteRule .* - [E=RU:%1]

     # Put the username into a request header:
     RequestHeader set X_REMOTE_USER %{RU}e

     </Location>

      RewriteRule ^/(.*)
http://localhost:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/%{SERVER_NAME}:80/test/VirtualHostRoot/$1