file permissions

I’ve recently installed Apache server 2.2.6 on my computer and managed to get it working with PHP5 and MySQL. I am developing a PHP website and wanted to be able to have it all on my computer offline to develop and debug without having to upload to my webhost every time I made a change in order to see what it looks like.

For the most part, it is working. I can load and see my PHP pages, it’s connecting properly to the database, and most functions are working.

However, certain files, such as config files in the PHP website are not updating, i.e. it appears that they are not getting permission to be overwritten/updated. (Apologies if I’m using layman’s language… I’m self-taught here.)

The template for the site is an open-source PHPMySpace program. The installation instructions are very specific about setting the correct file permissions on the external web hosting server (CHMOD settings). In particular, all cache folders need to be set to 777 and all files in these folders to 666, to allow free read and write by the website owner.

Now translate this to my own computer and I am presuming that these folders and files (cache folders) need to be completely readable and writable. Windows XP does not allow one to change the “read-only” attribute of folders, but they say this doesn’t matter because the R flag is being used for other purposes other than to set the folder as read-only. They say in fact that it doesn’t make the folder read-only at all, and this bears true because we can read, overwrite, copy, and move these folders to our heart’s content. (Nonetheless, I've tried fiddling with the security and file sharing settings for these folder and files as well as a registry tweak I found online, but to no avail.)

So, maybe this is not causing the problem with the files that are refusing to be overwritten/updated.

No errors are being thrown. The config settings pages (back end) simply reload, but discard any changes and revert back to where they started.

Is there possibly some other user or config setting in Apache that I need to set to overcome this problem.

Has anybody else encountered this problem?

The PHP website requires that certain files are able to be overwritten, updated, in order to function properly, but this seems to be being blocked in some cases, but not in others, which makes it all the more peculiar, and which is why I suspect it has to do with these cache folders and files.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Regards,
Martin