Redirecting to internal server

Hi all, first time on the apache list so have mercy ;)

I have been tasked with setting up a system whereby a Linux server
running apache 2.0.59 in the DMZ takes requests on port 80 and then
passes them through to an internal Windows server running IIS which
actually hosts the HTML.

Such a setup already exists (though it's Linux to Linux) so I thought
this would be relatively easy to do, just copy the existing setup.
People currently connect to http://www.domain.co.uk/folder/login.html
and all is well. Searching the httpd.conf file I can find only one
reference to folder, which is:

<VirtualHost *:80>
     ServerAdmin administrator@xxxxxxxxxxxx
     ServerName www.domain.co.uk
     DocumentRoot /var/www/html/domain
     RewriteEngine on
     RewriteRule ^/folder(.+)    https://www.domain.co.uk/folder$1 [R,L]
     RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} ^(TRACE|TRACK)
     RewriteRule .* - [F]
</VirtualHost>

So we're using the rewrite module... except having read the
documentation on this feature I cannot fathom it.

I hoped that with the above I could simply add another line:

RewriteRule ^/folder2(.+)    https://www.domain.co.uk/folder2$1 [R,L]

I then added a route for the relevant server so the traffic is routed to
the internal network when its name is called. However, without really
understanding the above I'm not in much of a position to progress
further when this invariably fails to work. I don't know whether the
above in any way relates to the name apache calls which then causes the
call to be routed to server X.

Any advice or guidance you can offer would be much appreciated.

Paul Cocker
IT Systems Administrator

TNT Post is the trading name for TNT Post UK Ltd (company number: 04417047), TNT Post (Doordrop Media) Ltd (00613278), TNT Post Scotland Ltd (05695897),TNT Post North Ltd (05701709) and TNT Post South West Ltd (05983401). Emma's Diary and Lifecycle are trading names for Lifecycle Marketing (Mother and Baby) Ltd (02556692). All companies are registered in England and Wales; registered address: 1 Globeside Business Park, Fieldhouse Lane, Marlow, Buckinghamshire, SL7 1HY.