Re: Problem with NameVirtualHost and VirtualHost

You can't use Virtual Hosts like that with SSL.  The SSL handshake
with keys etc comes before the client tells the server which host it's trying to connect to, so the server has to read the ssl config before then, thus you
get the config for the first one.

Solution is to use IP based virtual hosts, though you might be able to do
something with server side includes and redirects that changed the home
page based on th %{HTTP_HOST} variable.  I've done something like
that when i wanted https://virtualhost2 to redirect to https://virtualhost1/host2

Help Any?

   Duncan

Gregor Schneider wrote:
Hi Guys,

I always keep being puzzled about those options, and I also don't get
enlighted by the doc.

this is what I have:

System: Debian Etch

/etc/apache2/apaxhe2.conf:

NameVirtualHost *:80
NameVirtualHost *:443

in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled I have

file clue:

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName test-clue
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost *:443>
    ServerName test-clue
</VirtualHost>

file dom:

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName test-dom
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost *:443>
    ServerName test-dom
</VirtualHost>

file ltc:

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName test-ltc
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost *:443>
    ServerName test-ltc
</VirtualHost>

Since I'm running the test-server on one single IP, I'm aware that I'm
getting ssl-warnings - it doesn't matter.

However, this is what's driving me nuts:

When I enter the url "https://test-ltc";, I'm always sent to
"https://test-clue";, and I kust don't understand why.

According to the docs
(http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/de/vhosts/examples.html) my example
doesn't look all that wrong.

Is there anything I'm overlooking?

This is my /etc/hosts:

10.170.202.5    test-clue
10.170.202.5    test-ltc
10.170.202.5    test-ltc-kr
10.170.202.5    test-dom

Could somebody please shed some light here?

TIA

Gregor