Re: mainting session cookies with a reverse proxy

On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 02:18:11PM -0800, dertown wrote:

> I used the tools and there is no path or domain in the original cookie that
> ican see.
> I know it is encrypted under MD5 so maybe icant access the cookie and change
> it.
>
> Is there a way to hold a cookie with in the prroxy server itself?

I thought you were pointing in this direction from the start,
but I was not sure I got it right.

What you are asking for is some kind of a server sided Cookie Store.
Actually I am looking for a stable open source cookie store too,
and I would be very interested in a discussion about it.

Mod_but (http://www.but.ch/mod_but/) has a cookie store. However,
this module is quite experimental and I would not use it in a
productive setting. I know a few commercial products with this
functionality, but no stable free software alternative.

I believe this lies in the complexity of the task. You need to
store the cookie in the shared memory part of the webserver.
However, this will mean you lose the ability to restart the
webserver without hazzle, unless you manage to save cookies
on disk for the restart and recover them afterwards.

Another problem is the relationship between a client and its
cookies. How do you link them? How do you guarantee a client
will get it's own cookies and how do you protect them from
other clients. Naturally you would build such a relationship
via a cookie. This means you store his 25 cookies in your
store (he will never see them that way) and present him
with a _single_ session cookie that links to this store.
Session replay, ennumeration and all sort of hijacking
attacks spring to mind. So you better know what you are
doing here.
An alternative to the session cookie would be to use
the SSL-Session ID, but this is still hardly used in real
world productive webservers.

Under the line: I do not know a module that would bring you
the functionality you are asking for - at least not in the
open source world. Maybe I missed a well known module - I would
love to hear that. Maybe I did not get things right above.
Then I would be happy to recieve some feedback.

regs,

Christian