Intermittent Server Access

Hi,

For a number of weeks I have been puzzling over a strange problem.

My Web Server is only available to visitors intermittently!

A remote request is made and the browser returns a message server not found, several seconds or minutes even hours later everything is OK.

I have experienced this myself sometimes too, and sometimes all I have to do is refresh the page and everything is OK. Sometimes I have to open a new window to get what I want but what is interesting is that if I Ping my domain Name the process does not return an IP Address sometimes. If I try the ping process several times I eventually get my servers IP address and if I then use a browser I get my web page too.

I was in a position to sit in front a PC on my local LAN today monitoring all traffic in & out of my Router whilst a friend tried to request a web page. No incoming traffic and he didn't get a web page either, I ask him to ping my domain name and he got nothing (No ip address returned) and I asked him to ping my ip address and he gets a response.

I ask him to make an addition to his hosts file and everything worked fine, I ask him to comment it out and he gets nothing, moments later all is well.

This is an intermittent problem, a problem that I would like to resolve but how?

For weeks I have believed that the problem could of been my aging server, a dodgy connection or cable or a faulty Router but after I have asked a friend to test a few things for me at the command prompt and the use of his hosts file whilst I monitor my routers activity I think the problem is elsewhere.

Are some Domain Name servers dropping my Domain Name entry or is there something going on! This is so frustrating

My thoughts and ideas welcome.

Regards

Mark