Re: Problem With Password Protection in Apache 2.2

On Nov 15, 2007 9:45 AM, Jon Forrest <jlforrest@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > - Require directive is limited to GET requests. So you don't mind if
> > people without a password access the content via POST requests?
>
> I just did a cut and paste from an example from some documentation.

Throw away that documentation. It's over a decade out of date. Try here instead:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/auth.html

> At this point this is the least of my problems, especially since the
> content does not require high security. Once I get the password
> protection issue solved then I'll add POST too.

No. You'll solve it by removing the <Limit > and </Limit> altogether.

> If I can't solve this soon I'm going to go ahead and try .htaccess
> files but I'd rather do this right by using directives in the
> httpd.conf file.

My best guess at your problem is that you are missing one of the
required modules to do auth. As the above docs suggest, you'll need at
least mod_auth_basic, mod_authn_file, and mod_authz_user.

Joshua.