Problem With Password Protection in Apache 2.2

I need to setup password controlled access to a directory managed
by an Apache 2.2 server running on Solaris 10. I'm trying to
do it by putting the necessary directives in my httpd.conf
file rather than using an .htaccess file.

I have the following in the appropriate VirtualHost section of my
httpd.conf file:

-----------------
DocumentRoot /users/chemweb/apache2/http-cchem/htdocs
<Directory /users/chemweb/apache2/http-cchem/htdocs/admittedstudent>
    AuthType Basic
    AuthName "Restricted Files"
    AuthUserFile /users/chemweb/apache2/http-cchem/htdocs/admittedstudent/.htpasswd
    <Limit GET>
        Require user gsportal AdmittedStudent
    </Limit>
</Directory>
------------------

The .htpassword file specified in the AuthUserFile directive exists, and contains:

------------------
gsportal:xxxxxxxx
AdmittedStudent:yyyyyyyy

(I edited the encrypted password)
-------------------

The directory on the Directory line exists:, e.g.

% ls -d /users/chemweb/apache2/http-cchem/htdocs/admittedstudent
/users/chemweb/apache2/http-cchem/htdocs/admittedstudent

When I go to http://www.cchem.berkeley.edu/admittedstudent/
I'm not asked for a password. Instead, I get a 500 Internal Server Error. My
error log says:

configuration error:  couldn't check user.  No user file?: /admittedstudent/

What's weird is that I get this message even if I comment out the
AuthUserFile directive.

The rest of the web site seems to be working fine. What am I doing wrong?

Cordially,
--
Jon Forrest
Unix Computing Support