domain.com/~user -> user.domain.com

Hello,

I am new to this forum (found it via Google). Please forgive that I just snow in like that, but I have a rewrite problem, which a .htaccess Guru can maybe solve in a few minutes. - I wasted already some days, but it still doesn't work.

Want I want to do is the following:

If someone accesses http://user.domain.com/ he shall be redirected to http://www.domain.com/~user/

Similarly, all accesses under the subdomain shall be redirected, too, e. g. http://user.domain.com/dogs/cats.html should retrieve http:// www.domain.com/~user/dogs/cats.html

The subdomain entry should remain in the URL field of the browser, i. e. the redirect should be "hidden".

The reason why I need this, is that, when I create a user web/FTP account, the URL to it is http://www.domain.com/~user/, and I would like to assign a http://user.domain.com/ subdomain to them.

Let me give you the background of the directory structure:

http://www.domain.com/ points to the path:
/home/www/web12/web

http://www.domain.com/~user/ points to the path:
/home/www/web12/user/domain.com_user/web
and
http://user.domain.com/ should points to the same path.

So basically, the .htaccess file would have to direct HTTP file accesses http://user.domain.com/* to http://www.domain.com/~user/* respectively.

But as the entry in the URL field in the browser shall not change, one would have to work with the paths, if I understand it correctly?

Does somebody know a solution to this problem (rewrite condition & rewrite rule)? I'd hang his picture up in my living room.

Kind regards,
Antonio.

---
Antonio