Re: Use NTLM only when needed

On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 10:41:57PM +0100, Fabrizio Reale wrote:
> I have a web application (Plone) which has its own authentication, but in an
> intranet I set up the NTLM authentication using the mod_ntlm module.
> It works very well when I am using a windows PC, but when I use my Linux
> desktop I must login using the ugly NTLM popup window.
> I would rather prefer to use the standard login of the web application.
> So if I can perform the NTLM authentication the system should authomatically
> log me, but if not I would like to see the application as an anonimous
> user.
>
> Does any one know how to do that?

Hi Fabrizio,

I can think of a hack including mod_rewrite and possibly mod_security,
but it means a potential breach of your security and is really
complicated. Unless you absolutely have to (and "ugly popup" sounds
annoying, but not really lethal) I would stick with the situation
as is. If you really have to, then there are a lot of learning
opportunities ahead. ;)

However, I'd be happy to hear about Firefox on Linux being able to respond
to NTLM by itself. Have not checked that in quite some time. And it
would solve your problem too, I suppose.

regs,

Christian