Re: apache as non-root

On Nov 8, 2007 3:50 PM, Axel-Stephane  SMORGRAV
<Axel-Stephane.SMORGRAV@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]

The point is that somebody not root can start/stop apache. In our
setup I have a wrapper script that can start the server in two modes:
A "maintenance mode" where a "server is down, please come back later"
message is displayed to whoever visits the site, and a normal mode.
This is done by passing a different value for the -f option to httpd
when started. These values (two alternative configs basically) are
hard coded in a script that only root can modify.
This way a user with less privileges than root can switch the site to
maintenance mode before taking the tomcat application server down.

> I have opted for sudo. Designated Apache administrators are allowed to start/stop/create as many instances of Apache they want to with the configurations of their choice. They are entrusted with that privilege. Bottom line.

Indeed, but in your case you have given the designated administrators
everything they need to become root. I hope you can trust them enough
not to try this.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@xxxxxxxxx