Re: Apache 2.2.6 weird security issue

Ruslan Sivak wrote:
I just upgraded from Apache 2.2.0 to 2.2.6 using the binaries from apachelounge.com. After I put in the new binaries (keeping my config), it refused to start up due to a security failure (no futher information was in the logs). After running Process Monitor, it looks like it was failing at the following place:

Desired Access: Read Data/List Directory, Execute/Traverse, Read Desired Access: Execute/Traverse, Synchronize

Apache runs under the limited user "apache" and has read only access to the bin directory. Why is it trying to CreateFile there? (after giving it full access to that directory, things now work, but I would prefer to not give it access it doesn't need).

Ignore "CreateFile, that means different things.  Apache needs to be able
to /see/ it's own files, and your permissions don't allow it.  It needs to
load .dll's - so it needs execute access to the contents of bin/ and /modules
and traverse/read directory access throughout the filesystem to the program
and to the files that you will serve.

E.g. your parent directory can't be traverse/no read, because if it can't
see the attributes or files, it can't decide if you had really intended
to serve Progra~1/... or Program Files/...