Re: .htaccess and authentication inside/outside network

Sean,

Sean Brown wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to figure out the right prescription for the following
> scenario.  When my users are inside our firewall (a 192.168.x.x
> network), I'd like them to be able to browse a particular site without
> any authentication at all.  If they want to see the site from home, or
> anywhere outside our firewall, I'd like them to have to authenticate.
> The ability to even get to the site from inside and outside the
> firewall is already working just fine.
>
> Our current .htaccess file looks like so:
>
> AuthType Basic
> AuthName "Password Required"
> AuthUserFile /path/to/userdb/users
> Require valid-user
>
> That, obviously, asks for a authentication every time.  I know I need
> to add some form of
>
> Allow from 192.168
>
> into the virtualhost block in our apache config, but I can't seem to
> get it right.
>
> The part of the virtualhost block in the main apache config file
> dealing with access currently looks like this:
>
> <Directory "/path/to/htdocs">
>         Options FollowSymLinks
>         AllowOverride AuthConfig Limit
>         Order allow,deny
>         Allow from all
> </Directory>
>
> Can anyone lend a hand?  Thanks in advance,

You'll need a:

Satisfy any

but I'd strongly recommend not splitting configuration between
httpd.conf and .htaccess files.  Place the correct directives in the
httpd.conf if at all possible - it can't be deleted by accident!  My
partial config looks like this:

 Satisfy any
 Order deny,allow
 Deny from all
 Allow from 10.0.0.0/24
 Require valid-user

HTH,

				Neil.

--
Neil Hillard                    neil.hillard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
AgustaWestland                  http://www.whl.co.uk/

Disclaimer: This message does not necessarily reflect the
            views of Westland Helicopters Ltd.