creating a custom error while restricting access

Hello,

I have set up two virtual hosts in my Apache 2.0 httpd.conf file running on Windows XP. I am restricting which IP addresses can access the pages like so:
<Directory      C:/somefolder/*>
               # Restricting by IP access
               AllowOverride None
               Options None
               Order deny,allow
               Deny from all
               Allow from domain.maindomain
               Allow from xxx.xxx
               Allow from localhost
       </Directory>
When people are not in the allowed subnet range, they get a Forbidden (Error 403) message. I would like to modify this message. I read that I could accomplish this by creating a htaccess file in htdocs and put an entry into that file that points to the custom error page. My htaccess file now looks like this:
Error 403 Forbidden 403error.html
However, I still get the default error page. I am not able to access the 403error.html directly either. This is probably because, htdocs is no longer home directory for serving pages. I tried placing the htaccess and 403.html file into c:\somefolder ,but that did not produce the custom error message either.

How should I create the custom error message when using virtual hosts and restricting access to the folder?

Thank you,

Tonu