htpasswd questions

Hello,

I've got some questions about htpasswd. From the man page:

-m  Use  MD5  encryption for passwords. On Windows, Netware and TPF,
    this is the default.

-d  Use crypt() encryption for passwords. The default on  all  plat‐
    forms but Windows, Netware and TPF. Though possibly supported by
    htpasswd on all platforms, it is  not  supported  by  the  httpd
    server on Windows, Netware and TPF.

-s  Use  SHA encryption for passwords. Facilitates migration from/to
    Netscape servers using the  LDAP  Directory  Interchange  Format
    (ldif).

Why are there different defaults for different platforms?

Does "SHA encryption" use SHA-0, SHA-1, SHA-224, SHA-256, SHA-384,
or
SHA-512?

When I run "htpasswd -m -n -b testuser testpassword" I get:
testuser:$apr1$4jXSc...$N0NEIs0Hxh1./JJkuMghO1

And when I run "htpasswd -s -n -b testuser testpassword" I get:
testuser:{SHA}i7YRj4/Wk1rQh2o740pxfTJwj/0=

I know MD5 always produces a 128-bit hash, and the shortest version
of SHA (SHA-1) produces a 160-bit hash, so why is the MD5 output
longer than the SHA output?

The command always produces a different output, so I take it the
hash
is salted in some way? I did a search for "salt" in RFC 2617, but I
got
no matches. What size is the salt and how does it work?

If I have AuthType set to Basic, then everything is done server-
side,
right? So I won't have to worry if the end-users client is
compatible
with my choice of hashing algorithm or not?

-Anonymous