Re: Make apache sleep

Jim Albert wrote:
For the purposes of testing a heavy load situation, I'd like to configure one of my apache web servers to intentionally respond slow to a request.

Is anyone aware of some type of apache sleep or delay configuration that will easily allow me to configure this? For example, tell apache to wait 10 seconds before responding to any request.

Thanks to all who responded. I was hoping apache already had a configuration built in to do this. Instead of turning a variety of pages into dynamic pages in order to insert a sleep, I ended up writing an apache module and configured it with PerlInitHandler. This worked out well as I could configure it to just slow for my ip address without affecting anyone else. I could also easily apply it to all requests or a particular request via the <Location> tag.

In conf.d/perl.conf add this line:
PerlInitHandler MyDelay

Contents of MyDelay.pm are as follows:

package MyDelay;

# This package can be used in conjunction with a
# PerlInitHandler directive to slow down a connection
# based on an ip address

# Example: set in perl.conf
# To slow down a particular request
#<Location /delay_test.html>
#   PerlInitHandler MyDelay
#</Location>
#
# or outside of any Location, File, etc to slow down all requests
#  PerlInitHandler MyDelay

use strict;
use Apache2::RequestRec;
use Apache2::Const;             # for OK
use Apache2::Connection;		# for remote_ip

sub handler
{
   my $r = shift;
   my($c);