Re: Make apache sleep

I don't know about anything in apache to do this, but there are a couple other options that popped into mind, depending on what exactly you're trying to test.

The first is netlimiter (http://www.netlimiter.com) that will let you simulate network congestion/low bandwidth scenarios, with a little work.

The second possibility is only if you're running windows (sure there's a way to do this in *nix, but I'm no guru). Get something running on an open loop (kill cpu cycles) and set the priority of the httpd to low, to simulate processor bogdown.

A combination of these two might get you close to where you want to be, but if they don't I'm pretty sure there are more 3rd party applications (on windows at least) that should help you simulate the conditions you're trying to.

Jim Albert wrote:
For the purposes of testing a heavy load situation, I'd like to configure one of my apache web servers to intentionally respond slow to a request.

Is anyone aware of some type of apache sleep or delay configuration that will easily allow me to configure this? For example, tell apache to wait 10 seconds before responding to any request.

Thanks,
Jim Albert