Re: rewrite or proxypass?

Where is the login homepage?  Where does it POST?
Where is the application?
What URLs do clients see?
How do those URLs reach the correct server/port?
How does the application send URLs usable by the client?

>From my understanding of your needs, only example.com:80 should be
accessible to clients.  You want to firewall port 8080 from clients.
Apache httpd on port 80 will proxy to port 8080.  Questions:
1. Are all requests using the proxy?  Why bother using a proxy?  (That
was my previous question.)
2. Does a virtual server name indicate using the proxy?  (app.example.com)
3. Do certain paths indicate using the proxy? (example.com/app/...)

Your current issue is the application is not aware of the proxy.
mod_proxy only rewrites request URLs.  You need to use one of the
following options:

1. Configure the application for use behind the proxy.  Something like:
ROOT_PREFIX = "http://www.example.com/app/";
The syntax will depend on the application and the abilities of the developers.

2. Use mod_proxy_html to rewrite the HTML sent by the application to
change every "http://www.example.com:8080/"; to
"http"//www.example.com/app/".

solprovider