Re: 100-continue response when 401 expected - Apache 2.2.26

Thanks for your response.

I would like to clarify that the client does not know if the web
resource is protected by authentication or not and if so, does it
require Basic or Digest authentication scheme. Therefore the client
can never send the authentication header in the initial request.

The aim is that the client attempts to send just the PUT request
headers without the auth header and without the body.
   -- If the server requires authentication it will send a 401 and the
client can send the request headers with Auth header AND provide the
request body.
   -- If no auth required the server will send a 100 continue and the
client will send the request body.

Please see my response inline to the points you have raised ...

> > For PUT requests with a Expect: 100-continue header, Apache 2.2.6
> > server sends a HTTP/1.1 100 Continue response before checking to see
> > if a 401 or 405 response might need to be sent for the request.
>
> That seems less than optimal, but you didn't really give it a chance.

I expected that sending a request without the Authentication header,
for a resource that requires authentication, would result in a 401
being returned. Instead I got back a 100 Continue.

I was expecting that things that can be checked by the apache
infrastructure without  requiring the application (in this case the
put.cgi) to get involved would be checked before asking the client to
continue sending the body. Example - Method allowed or not (405), auth
required or not (401).

While trying to test for the condition where if a malformed request is
sent would I get back a 100 continue or 400 Bad request I noticed a
strange thing with 2.2.6.

If I do not have the Content-Length header present in the initial
request, then I get back a 401 just the way I would like to.

Like so...

PUT /secret/test.html HTTP/1.1
Host: 10.10.10.1:8080
Expect: 100-continue