server to test websites

Hi everyone
I apologize in advance if I ramble/dont get to the point, my girlfriend says I do that a lot.

I just installed 2.2.6 on Windows XP with the intention of testing various websites being written on the local machine. I am having a few problems and I think they arise from my inexperience with apache so any help would be great.

Here are some stuff my httpd.conf and httpd-vhosts.conf files

ServerRoot "C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2"
Listen localhost:80
ServerName localhost:80 ( I dont think I changed this I just put localhost as server name in the msi)
DocumentRoot "C:\wwwroot\mecweb"
<Directory "C:\wwwroot\mecweb"> (defaults inside)

NameVirtualHost *:80
<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName localhost
    DocumentRoot "C:\wwwroot\mecweb"
</VirtualHOst>

<VirtualHost *:80>
    DocumentRoot "C:\wwwroot\mecweb"
    ServerName mecweb.localhost
    ServerAlias mecweb.localhost
    ErrorLog "logs\mecweb-error_log"
</VirtualHost>

Ok so what I had in mind was to work on website "mecweb" then go to my web browser and type something like mecweb.localhost and well that didnt work so I changed my document root to mecweb's folder and figured that when I point web browser to localhost it would pull that up. But instead I keep getting phpmyadmin which is in "C:\wwwroot" which was the old doc-root before changing it to "C:\wwwroot\mecweb"

Is there some huge conceptual error that I just keeping making?

Thanks

Manny