Re: Web Farm Ideas

we have use NFS for a few farms here with simiar setup. rsync is between the dev boxes and NFS servers only.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2007 2:28 PM
Subject: Web Farm Ideas

Greetings-

    I am coming up with ideas for building a new farm. We currently run CF and Apache on a bunch of decent sized boxes, headed by a set of F5's. We have an isolated Dev Environment. The current framework for putting stuff into production is homegrown, and in need of an overhaul, I just want to see if there is something out there to assist, or if our model is wrong at this point. We do a bit over a billion hits per annum.  Now, I would like to brainstorm architectural changes.

Workflow as it is now:

Developer works on dedicated dev server->

Developer goes to web interface in order to select items to go into production (php/rsync) ->

Submit process "stages" selected files (copies them into a local heirarchy) ->

Cron syncs that local "staging area" to the production servers.

How do larger organizations do this?
How are uploads handled?
Shared storage?

I think I'm just looking for other ideas.

Any input would be great.

Thanks