Re: Logging Options - Extended W3C Log Format?

W3C's Extended Log File Format adds some header information to
standard logs.  The Working Draft datetime examples use
language-dependent month names; the ISO format for datetimes would be
better if the W3C can be convinced to follow standards.  Here is an
example:

#Version: 1.0
#Fields: remotehost rfc931 authuser [date] "request" status bytes
"referer" "browser"
#Software: Apache-httpd-2.2.6
#Start-Date: 20070901T000000Z
#End-Date: 20070930T235959Z
#Date: 20071001T000001Z
#Remark: Sample Header for W3C Extended Log Format using Apache
httpd's Combined Format

The Extended Format should not be implemented by logging software
because the data should be added after the log is closed.  This
function could be included in log rotation software.

Most of the data is constant once a server is configured; only the
three datetimes change.  The Date field is useless.  The Start-Date
and End-Date datetimes are only important to make certain no logs are
missing and should be specified as the same time for consecutive logs.
Most logs would not need those fields -- just look at the dates for
the first and last entries.  The Fields field could be very useful,
but the W3C does not explain the field names well -- the
specifications are imprecise and confuse field names with field types.
 Adding a unique and immutable key for the log's source would be
useful.

#Version: 1.0
#Source: Solprovider.com-Combined-httpd-Log
#Software: Apache-httpd-2.2.6
#Fields: remotehost rfc931 authuser [datetime] "request" status bytes
"referer" "browser"

--
Just add the information to the log file before you send it.  1) Open
file.  2) Paste standard text.  3) Fix datetimes. 4) Save file.  5)

Ask whoever automated Step 5 to add this function to that process.

solprovider