Re: snooping on cgi data

Peter Milanese wrote:

Eric, your post comes across a bit abbrasive.

my apologies.  It was not intended as such.

Wireshark (etherreal) is a totally different animal.

in implementation yes, conceptually what I want and wire shark are very similar. I have traffic between two points and I want to see what that traffic is.

You failed to mention what operating system you are running on your servers.

Shouldn't matter. my nutshell understanding of CGI is a sub process spoken to by environment variables and/or standard in. Response comes back on standard out and any error data should come back on standard error and placed into the Web server error log. wiretapping in the standard and/standard out/environment variables might be different between different operating systems but conceptually it's the same idea. Put a tap read the tap

as far web server and operating system, it's some version of Apache 2.mumble shipped with ubuntu 6.06.

What I _think_ you want to do is TRACE the process, to see what calls it is making to what. This can be done using TRUSS or STRACE.

I'm not sure that will work since I'm running Python code and they'll have a lot of extraneous calls I don't need to pay attention to.

The other route is to include debug code in your CGIs. You also failed to mention what type of CGIs they are.

Python CGI. The bug doesn't help because it's probably leftover debugging information that's causing the problem in the first place. I've tried a suggestion someone else made about script log but it's not working. So,like I said, my most productive route now is going to be scanning the code with grep and a careful eye.

---eric