Re: YAMRQ (Yet Another Mod Rewrite Question)

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007, Christian Folini wrote:

> So you are running www.example.com and edit.example.com
> within the same apache server config?

Yes.

> This means edit.example.com
> is an alias to www.example.com

Sort of (see below).

> When working with multiple hostnames/servernames and treating
> traffic differently depending on a this name, it makes
> sense to work with multiple name-based virtual hosts.

I am using name vhosts - I have several vhosts including www and edit
defined.

www goes to a cluster of web servers but edit goes to only one of the web
servers. The problem is that both www and edit point to the same tree on
that server so there is ONE .htaccess file serving both vhosts (its
the same application - Im just tying edit and create actions to one server so
that image uploads work properly instead of being scattered across all
servers - we can rsync later).

I also dont want to put rewrite instructions in the vhost files - thats a
lot of files across a cluster of servers which I dont want to have to
maintain if the application and/or URLs change.

--
Aj.