Losing expat.h in Linux cross-compilation environment

I am attempting to build Apache httpd 2.2.4 for our platform using our
cross-compilation environment. Initially, I was using the WindRiver
Linux 1.4 method of adding package to a layer which is then built for
each target board. I was successful for a number of iterations, until I
started getting errors compiling apr-util/xml/apr_xml.c- it could not
find expat.h. I was unable to identify any change in the environment
that might have changed a path or link or otherwise caused the issue,
nor was I able to get rid of the issue by starting with a fresh build
environment.

I switched to using our application cross-compilation environment. Again
I was successful at compiling for a number of iterations, but the error
eventually occurred. Creating a fresh build environment was also
unsuccessful, however, I was able to build for a different platform. I
expect that eventually I will see the same problem arise. Unfortunately,
I only have a limited number of platforms to which I can switch to
continue compiling ;-)!

Up to this point, I was not setting any configuration values related to
expat. By setting --with-expat=builtin I was able to compile again in
the "tainted" environments, but wonder if it will continue to work.

It seems that very little cross-compiling of httpd is done, but has
anyone else seen this behavior?

Thanks!
.Tim
Xerox Corporation, Office Group

Phone: 585/427-1684
Fax:   585/427-3244
Email:  Tim.Hammer@xxxxxxxxx
Addr:  M/S 0801-80A
       1350 Jefferson Road
       Rochester, NY  14623

This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of
the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential information. Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If
you are not the intended recipient(s) please contact the sender by reply
Thank you.