Re: Multiple concurrent instances of apache

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your response.

I only have one IP address and as such in order to run ssl I can't run
virtual hosts (name based - and would rather not purchase another IP
address - the old certificate requirement of ssl cert verification
before apache is able to resolve the name).

That being said I was hoping to be able to run another instance - call
it a utility instance - where I could use localhost for things such as
phpmyadmin among others and thus have the two completely independent
of each other.

I tried to accomplish this by creating a completely separate apache
tree and using a modified rc script (changing pid, lock and log) to
call the 'otherInstance' version of httpd.conf.

The errors I got when doing this were as listed in my previous email.

I thought that this should work but as of yet have not been successful
- I think I must be missing something trivial but have not been able
to resolve.

Am I doing thinks a little backwards here. I simply have a requirement that:

   1. I can't use a name based servers, and
   2. I want to keep two completely separate and independent server roots.

Is this not possible?

Thanks in advance,

Ian