Re: Conditionally redirect to HTTPS URL if authorization required?

Hi everyone,

Fortunately, my problem only applies to GET and HEAD requests, since
all POST forms must be obtained through a GET in the first place.

On 28/09/2007, Christian Folini <christian.folini@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Your if-then is technically relatively easy to do with mod-rewrite.

Thanks for the re-assurance, I had looked into mod_rewrite to begin
with, but I was not clear about the following:
 - How could mod_rewrite tell if a 'Require user' or 'Require group'
directive needs to be 'Satisfy'ed? This is one of my conditions.
 - How could a VirtualHost's RewriteCond evaluate the condition
_after_ considering the effects of a 'Require group' or 'Satisfy any'
in subsidiary .htaccess?

I'd almost think of it in the following way: (a) Apache already goes
to all the trouble of working out how to respond to the GET/HEAD
request; (b) if it wants to respond with "401 Unauthorized" on the
HTTP virtual host then (c) I "simply" want to transmute it to a "302
Found" at the HTTPS virtual host (i.e., return the original request
URL with 'http:' replaced by 'https:').

Any pointers?

James