Re: Disable directory browsing

Sorry I got the sense of things backwards earlier. Isn't there another more brute-force option, to simply place an empty index.htm file in every directory that shouldn't be browsed? Doesn't the presence of an index file disable browsing even when it's enabled in principle for that directory? The open source blog software I use in fact came pre-packaged that way, with index files placed in all the directories where browsing wasn't desirable.

Mark

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re:  Disable directory browsing
From: Joshua Slive <joshua@xxxxxxxx>
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, September 27, 2007 06:09:43 AM

On 9/27/07, Rikard Bosnjakovic <rikard.bosnjakovic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 26/09/2007, Joshua Slive <joshua@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

But the correct solution is to search through all your conf files and
remove "Indexes" from every Options directive that you find.
There is no Options Indexes anywhere in any of my config files, that's
what confusing me.

I probably want to keep mod_autoindex, in case I want to enable
directory browsing for some particular directory (using .htaccess I
guess), but unless otherwise stated, browsing should be off.

I should have also mentioned that you need to remove any "Options
All", which includes Indexes. And you need to make sure that you are
starting from the off state, so you'll also need a
<Directory />
Options None (or perhaps FollowSymLinks for performance reasons)
</Directory>

Joshua.