Re: Apache log files on Windows

On Sep 25, 2007, at 11:17 AM, James Sherwood wrote:

We are using Apache 2.0.54 on a windows server 2003. When I try to copy the logs I get the error "A program has a partial lock on the file"

This means you're trying to copy a file that's being written to, and the OS thinks it has a good reason not to let you do that. Why are you trying to copy the live file? It'll get you a bunch of stale data and next time you copy it won't be easy to determine the boundary of the stuff you have already copied.

Are you trying to rotate the logs? The best way to do that is as follows:

1) Rename the old log file(s). Apache will continue to write log data to the old files, since it has open file handles on them and the OS is not
   fooled by something so trivial as a filename
2) Send Apache a restart (or graceful restart) by calling

   c:\path\to\httpd -k restart

(or -k graceful). This causes Apache to open new, empty log files with the original names, closing the old open file handles. New log entries
   will appear in the new log files without any loss.

S.

--
Sander Temme
sctemme@xxxxxxxxxx