Re: Question on need to restart Apache after adding/modifying module

> apache just doed not have functionality of runtime re-configuration without
> restarting. Some of the functionality can be done through mod_perl, and
> surely most of the functionality can be done with addon module.
>
> However adding or removing of module usually causes reconfiguration of
> config file (directives the module implements arte being added/removed), so
> it mostly requires rebuilding of configuration in memory.
>
> This is called restart, although you can use graceful restart for more
> smooth reconfiguration (not killing child processes)

Well, I was more concerned with avoiding loss of temporary  data (eg.
may be sessions created)
If one can add new modules without restarting apache,
then may be he can maintain all data and can continue working as if it
was never restarted ( atleast from user perspective, eg. if user has
logged in on one of the site on server, then he may not need to
re-login after server restart )

> > I am not very clear about this trade off involved between speed/memory
> > and flexibility.
> > First I would like to be clear on whether its possible or not to have
> > kernel like modules
> > in userspace.
>
> In fact, apache modules are the same thing as kernel modules. Note the
> above.
>
> --
> Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar@xxxxxxxxxxx ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
> Boost your system's speed by 500% - DEL C:\WINDOWS\*.*

Regards,
Pravin Shinde