Re: Processing config directives from the command line

On Sep 21, 2007, at 2:43 PM, Michael Andrews wrote:

I have removed the Listen directive from my config and would like to set it from the command line. I assume that is what the -C/c flags are for:

% ./apachectl -C "Listen 8080" -k start

I keep getting dumped in to the -help and syntax page of httpd. It does not seem to like the syntax. When I remove the 8080 (the value part to the Listen directive) I get this:

% ./apachectl -C "Listen" -k start
Syntax error on line 1 of -c/-C directives:
Listen requires 1 or 2 arguments.

I thought simple quotes would work - but it does not seem to. Any suggestions or insight would be appreciated.

apachectl is a shell script, so you can look inside to see and understand what happens.

As you can see, it is essentially a very thin wrapper around httpd -k $ARGV with ARGV set to whatever came in on the command line. I expects start|stop|restart|graceful|etc., but anything after the -k argument should just sneak in... you'll have to take into account that the shell might strip away a level of quotes, so experiment with

apachectl start -C "\"Listen 8080\""

or something like that.  Experiment.

Or, depending on your circumstances and the other things apachectl does, just call httpd -k directly.

S.

--
Sander Temme
sctemme@xxxxxxxxxx