Subject: Re:  <directory> and deny directives
From: Joshua Slive <joshua@xxxxxxxx>
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Friday, September 14, 2007 09:08:30 AM

On 9/14/07, Mark A. Craig <mark.a.craig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 It would sure be
nice if the code didn't pull a non-intuitive stunt like this, though!  If the
DNS lookup resolves to the specified *partial* hostname, it should act on it,
not second-guess it with an rDNS like this.

Yes, it is non-intuitive. But on the other hand, it is much more
common to use hostnames for Allow directives than for Deny directives
(since the hostname is often under the control of the attacker). You
MUST check the forward and reverse for Allow directives, or else they
would be worthless. And then it could potentially cause even more
confusion if the Allow and Deny directives matched differently.

Joshua.