Mass Virtual Hosting

Hi!

I'm trying to think of an optimal mass vhosting solution for my server.
But even after reading http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/mass.html
and http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_vhost_alias.html I couldn't
make up my mind and have actually more questions then aswers. Here they
are:

1. I have the choice of using mod_vhost_alias nad mod_rewrite.
  a. Did anyone compare the performance of these two modules for mass
hosting? Since mod_vhost_alias is meant just to do that i guess that it
might perform better..
  b. Won't mod_rewrite issue some redirect (3xx) response when used?
  c. Cant the mod_rewrite rewrites collide somehow with other rewrites in
htaccess files of the vhosted domains?
  d. Are there any other pros/cons for using one over the other?
  e. Whatever method I will use in the end, how many vhosting types should
I consider? In http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/mass.html is
pointed out that I can use more then one mass vhosting schemes (i.e. for
homepages and for commertial sites). But I can't really imagine real
dfferences between serving homepages and commertial sites. To me it
seems that all one needs is one mass vhosting template and
(custom/manual) vhosting that would allow to host sites that wont fit
the template (i.e. i'm not sure if apache apache would handle correctly
sites with pure IDN directory names - would punny code work here? What
would you suggest?). If there are some reasons to use more then one mass
vhosting template, please give me an example, I dont want to overlook
something.

2. How would you implement this? I have something in mind, please correct
me if something seems problematic
  a. The server I'm speaking about would carry several hundreds of domains
(~500). Therefore I'd split domains according to their first letter.
  b. I'd like the users to be able to create subdomains by creating
directories. This is the simplest way I was able to think of
     /var/www/template/s/somehost.com/htdocs/somehost.com
(maps to http://somehost.com)
     /var/www/template/s/somehost.com/htdocs/www.somehost.com
(maps to http://www.somehost.com - I hope this would if
www.somehost.com would softlink to somehost.com?)
     /var/www/template/s/somehost.com/htdocs/subdomain1.somehost.com
(mapping to http://subdomain1.somehost.com)
     For this is this correct (fro using mod_vhost_alias)?
     UseCanonicalName Off
     VirtualDocumentRoot /var/www/template/%-2.1/%-2.%-1/htdocs/%0
     I'm not sure if I understood the docs perfectly.

Thanks in advance for any answers..

Pavel