Subject: Re:  Syntax error on line 1 of http.conf: invalid command
\xff\xfe#
From: Tom Donovan <donovant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sunday, September 09, 2007 07:58:43 AM

Mark A. Craig wrote:
I have a rather bizarre httpd.conf error with Apache 2.2 on Windows 2000; I attempted to make some rather simple edits to the logfile portion of it, and now when I test, start,or restart the server I get the following error displayed in the console (DOS) window:

Syntax error on line 1 of C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/conf/httpd.conf: Invalid command '\xff\xfe#', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration

What the heck is going on? Not only did I not edit the first line, all it contains is the standard comment line that has been there all along.

Mark Craig

It appears you may have used an editor which stores files in Unicode and introduced a byte-order-mark:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte-order_mark

You could try opening httpd.conf in Notepad and save it as ANSI to remove this problem.

-tom-