Using mod_proxy to create transparent site moving

I am a fellow Roxen Challenger-user since 8 years back, but now I have
a strong reason replacing it with the Apache webserver instead.
However, most of the Roxen-site uses a lot of Roxen-scripts which
cannot be run on Apache, so apparently I cannot simply copy all the
contents and remove Roxen.

Last week I installed Apache to the same machine running Roxen. Apache
resides on port 81 while Roxen still speaks on port 80. The final
setup will be Apache on port 80 and Roxen on some other port (let's
say 8080 just for the sake of an argument). The Roxen currently serves
two domains, and when Apache moves in it's going to serve three (the
two Roxen-ones included).

But, as I wrote earlier, I simply cannot copy the contents. Instead, I
need to keep Roxen alive on port 8080, and when traffic comes (to port
80 when Apache is listening there) to the two domains it serves,
Apache should nice and silently forward all the data to the Roxen
webserver, not telling anything to the browser that it fetches data
from another webserver (so the browser doesn't change the domain in
the address bar, or similiar).

I googled around to see what tools / options I have to make the above
a reality. At first I thought this mod_rewrite-module is the thing I
should use, but googling even further it looks like mod_proxy is
supposed to do the job I'm wanting.

However, since I'm not having vast knowledge about Apache and its
modules, I decided to ask on this list first, to see if I'm on the
right track. I have time enough to read up on documentation, but I
don't have time to read documentation for incorrect tools (for this
job).

So, am I on the right track? Is mod_proxy The Tool that I should use?

--
- Rikard - http://bos.hack.org/cv/