Re: Is order of Location statements supposed to be significant?

Joshua Slive wrote:
On 8/31/07, Peter Rabbitson <rabbit+maillists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Joshua Slive wrote:
On 8/31/07, Peter Rabbitson <rabbit+maillists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My question is whether this is documented anywhere? I use a number of
mod_macro statements all over my site and always believed that order of
statements is not significant, only the nesting level. Now I am not sure
how many more hidden problems I have in my configs.

Please point me to documentation in what circumstances the order of
similar statements is significant, as my digging around the 2.2 manual
proved fruitless.
See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/sections.html#mergin
and in particular the sentence:
"Apart from <Directory>, each group is processed in the order that
they appear in the configuration files."

So in other words I am responsible for ordering all directives "shortest
directive path first" except for Directory, which is reordered
automatically.

Yes. But in all likelihood, you should be using <Directory> and not
<Location> in the first place. <Location> is for controlling URLs that
aren't related to the filesystem. Therefore there is no real reason to
believe that the arguments to <Location> will have a hierarchical
file-system-like structure, so it wouldn't make sense for httpd to
reorder them in that way.

I need to control it exactly in such way because different access levels
are grouped by the URL location, not by the directories behind these
locations (some don't point to the filesystem at all). I don't think my
usage pattern warrants a bug, but it definitely is counter-intuitive.

Peter