Re: transparent proxy support in Apache?

On 02.08.07 18:51, Jason Haar wrote:
> Yup - that's a transparent *forwarding* proxy.

no, it's an *intercepting* proxy. Looking to RFC 2616, the transparent proxy
is defined this way:

      A "transparent proxy" is a proxy that does not modify the request or
      response beyond what is required for proxy authentication and
      identification. A "non-transparent proxy" is a proxy that modifies
      the request or response in order to provide some added service to
      the user agent, such as group annotation services, media type
      transformation, protocol reduction, or anonymity filtering.

I know that many ppl call intercepting proxy a "transparent" proxy, but
that's incorrect.

... we are talking about HTTP protocol, aren't we?

--
Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar@xxxxxxxxxxx ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
REALITY.SYS corrupted. Press any key to reboot Universe.