min spare servers Directive

Hi
We are using prefork apache on Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS  4 with the
following settings:

MaxKeepAliveRequests 100

KeepAliveTimeout 15

<IfModule prefork.c>
StartServers       8
MinSpareServers    8
MaxSpareServers   300
ServerLimit      575
MaxClients       575
MaxRequestsPerChild  4000

What I am unclear about is that if the server limit is 575 and I have
actually reached this limit will there be 8 additional children
started(MinSpareServers) that is not serving requests but will be if any
of the other children stops or reaches MaxRequestsPerChild?

When I do a character count on server-status I get the value of 584
which confirms my above reasoning.

This apache httpd server is used to front 12 Tomcat servers using
mod_jk.

I think the MaxSpareServers value is a bit high. I believe the original
reasoning behind this value has been because we receive regular burst of
traffic and then it is better to have apache keep the processes active
to sit out the burst of traffic.

We have also considered changing the parameters as follows to improve
performance after a httpd restart which unfortunately at the moment is
fairly often:

StartServers       16
MinSpareServers    16
MaxSpareServers   64

Any opinions on these values would be appreciated.

Regards