Re: OpenBSD 4.1 CGI issues

On 23 aug 2007, at 19.48, Israel Brewster wrote:

First off, I apologize for asking a question that I know you get a lot, but I have just spent the last hour and a half beating my head against the wall and searching the internet trying to find a solution with no luck.

Short version: I have an existing OpenBSD 4.0 box on which Apache (version 1.3.29) is working properly, including execution of CGI scripts. I am trying to move to a new machine with OpenBSD 4.1, so I started with a fresh OpenBSD 4.1 install, which comes with the same version of Apache as 4.0, and copied the httpd.conf file over from my old machine. After starting the web server, however, I found that it could not run any CGI scripts- always just giving me the following error:

[Thu Aug 23 08:45:40 2007] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Premature end of script headers: /cgi-bin/test-cgi

The details: Aside from being OpenBSD 4.1, the new box is set up the same as the old one. I have checked and double checked the permissions on both the cgi files, including the test cgi included with the install, as well as the CGI folder. The test-cgi, as well as the printenv both run fine from a terminal window. I tried reverting to the factory default httpd.conf, with no luck. The permissions on the contents of the cgi-bin folder are as follows:

ls -l /var/www/cgi-bin/
total 212
----------  1 root  bin     99072 Mar 10 16:41 bgplg
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  daemon    512 Aug 23 07:59 nagios
-rwxrwxrwx  1 root  bin       268 Mar 10 16:32 printenv
-rwxrwxrwx  1 root  bin       757 Mar 10 16:32 test-cgi

the cgi-bin folder itself has 755 permissions. The relevant section from the httpd.conf file is as follows:

    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/cgi-bin/"

    #
# "@@ServerRoot@@/cgi-bin" should be changed to whatever your ScriptAliased
    # CGI directory exists, if you have that configured.
    #
    <Directory "/var/www/cgi-bin">
        AllowOverride None
        Options none
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>

I have tried adding an "AddHandler cgi-script .cgi" directive to that block, as one webpage I found suggested, as well as changing the "Option none" to "Options ExecCGI". I did, of course, restart the server between each configuration change. I have also tried with various different CGI scripts, most of which come from a fresh install. Nothing seems to make any difference- I still get the "premature end of script headers" error. If this was linux, i'd say check the SELinux settings, but it isn't. What am I missing here?

Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service Inc.
5245 Airport Industrial Rd
Fairbanks, AK 99709
(907) 450-7250 x293

Are your CGI scripts written in Perl,Python, etc? Check that the path of the executables match
the shebang line!!!!!!!!!
------
What is a woman that you forsake her, and the hearth fire and the home acre, to go with the old grey Widow Maker. --Kipling, harp song of the Dane women
Tommy Nordgren
tommy.nordgren@xxxxxxxxx