Re: apache freezes after an hour

On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 09:09 -0700, MickyLE wrote:
> Hi!
> I got the same problem
> -Debian 4.0 with Apache 2 and php5
> -mods-enabled: alias.load authn_file.load authz_groupfile.load
> authz_user.load cgi.load dir.load mime.load         php5.conf setenvif.load
> ssl.load auth_basic.load authz_default.load authz_host.load autoindex.load
> dir.conf env.load negotiation.load php5.load ssl.conf status.load
> -www.domain1.tld -> *.html and *.php will be sent through the php engine/
>  www.domain2.tld -> only *.php will be sent through the php engine
> -www.domain1.tld/index.html contains simple php-script (just "echo "Hello
> World") but www.domain2.tld/index.php contains only plain text
>
> Problem: after a certain time, pages requiering to be sent through php, do
> not responde anymore (error log: Maximum execution time of 60 seconds
> exceeded in Unknown on line 0), while pages NOT sent through php are NOT
> frozen. This porblem doesn not relate on if this file sent through the
> php-engine containing any php-code at all (even plain text files with *.php
> are not processed anymore) WHILE php used in background by cron to process
> requests works fine (i made a short code just to write the timestamp into a
> file every minute). what makes it even more confusing for me: if i try to
> call www.domain1.tld and www.domain2.tld I do not get an answer but, when i
> try aftrewards www.domain1.tld/index.html and www.domain2.tld/index.php I
> get a respons and, after that, even www.domain1.tld and www.domain2.tld
> respond propperly! And I do not get any Error-Reporting at all (settings:
> apache2.conf: LogLevel debug; php.ini: error_reporting = E_ALL | E_STRICT
> und log_errors = On).
>
> I would appriciate very muche if anyone has an idea what is going wrong.

Hey,

I recently had a similar problem which I solved on my end by removing a
PHP module that was causing me some issues.

You should probably get a backtrace to figure out what's going on. To do
this, you'll need to:

When the php scripts stop responding, having a look at which process is
handling the frozen connection. (ie, I use:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_status.html ), then once you
have the process id you can attach to it with gdb (you may need to
install it with aptitude install gdb) like this:

gdb -p 1234

Once it loads up, type the "bt" command and it will tell what it's
doing. You can then type "quit" to leave gdb.

Additionally, it may be useful to figure out which PHP modules you have
installed on your install.

Also, is your system load high when it first stops responding?

Cheers,

Pasc