Re: im stuck, plz help...

On 8/10/07, Harvey Saayman <HarveySaayman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
thank you so much for the help given so far...

now a demon of a different kind reared its ugly head...

i set up m Listen directive to "Listen 80"... i then tried http://localhost and my html displays right im my browser... i got my ppp0 internet IP which was 196.23.239.34 tonight and i tried http://196.23.239.34. now i dont get the index.htm created for my testing purposes like i got using http://localhost, instead i get a test page that came with apache that just sais "Its works". the dir to this htm is C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs on my pc... i checked my httpd.conf file and that dir isnt even in there anymore... (im using C:/www for my htm and logs). i tried replacing that "it worx" htm with my one and still the same problem... i dont know were apache gets told to go there cuz i can see any other directives pointing to a dir other that the ones i set up myself

can this be because of my internet gateway on my home network? Sander Temme sugested the following " you'll need a port forward from the Linux router to your Windows box to make your Apache server visible from the Internet" i dont hav a clue how to do this YET but this is infact how im running my setup... i have a linux gateway on my home network which connects to the internet, behind it i have my win pc running apache... being a noob at this i dont know if that could be the problem

further more... i know its beyond the scope of this mail list but i think it is in fact relevent to the subject which is webhosting... as ive read a user input an URL into the browser which then goes to the users IPS's DNS servers which goes to one of 13 or 14 main DNS servers in the world which then goes to smaller DNS servers to the specific ISP which then directs that "query" if you will to your http servers IP... this is my current understanding of how that works. now eventualy id like to host more than one site EG www.thisSite.co.za and www.thatSite.co.za and www.aSite.co.za . can i somehow host a DNS server myself? or do i have to register a DNS like the one offered here http://www.imaginet.co.za/product/hosting/linux  ... and if i cant host it myself will the DNS registration here be enough to get my end result of the user using www.thisSite.co.za and then directing it to my IP? and then another Question do i need a seperate IP for each domain www.thisSite.co.za and www.thatSite.co.za and www.aSite.co.za or will one do the job if i somehow localy split the queary to go the right index.htm for the respective site?

thank you so much for the help and patience with my probably stupid questions... ive lerned so much alredy

To get mine to work correctly I had to assign a static IP address via DHCP on my gateway. Then I had to forward port 80 to that specific IP address. I also ran into a lot of bugs getting an alternative root folder to work, although it's possible. For me, the easier solution was to use the existing directory structure. In the root I have a basic index.html. You also need to make sure that your httpd.conf has each vhost setup correctly. I run 7 domains from my DSL connection without a problem, using the help of a free Dynamic DNS service: http://freedns.afraid.org/

You can't host your own DNS unless your ISP has given you static IP's and you can do a successful reverse lookup. That normally means paying for commercial service with most ISP's. Keep it simple, use a free or commercial Dynamic DNS service, which should provide you with a update client that will run in the background.