Re: Running httpd as root on a Linux machine

Ron Lee wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to perform remote network configuration on a Linux machine via
> web interface. I thought that I can use PHP for this purpose. When I
> click on a certain button, I want certain configuration scripts
> executed on the Linux machine. So far that works fine.

webmin won't meet your needs? most distros offer it as an option
in the package manager, it usually uses an embedded https engine
this way and would need to be configured to allow from outside the
localhost. Or the scripts can be downloaded and installed into apache's
document root tree.

~snip~

Is it possible to run httpd as root?
yes, set the user and group in httpd.conf to root then restart the server.

 I know that this is a big security risk