Directory mapping and logic inquiry

Hi all,

This is more of a conceptual question than actual syntax or the like.

I'm currently revising an application which should contain one documentroot for each user. The catch is, the application should connect to a user specific backend database based on who's logging in.

My thoughts are the following:

URL name will be something like: http://application.example.com/user (One DocumentRoot and the application's config file, config.php for argument sake, will reside here.)

Would my best bet be to use mod_env and SetEnv to grab the /(user) portion of the URL and then stick to my script specific engine to direct them to the user specific config file, based somewhere else on the filesystem? (At this point, it's not Apache's responsibility, it's at the application layer.)

Also, how about handling for URLs where a /user does not exist. Such as http://application.example.com/joebob (user joebob doesn't exist, I wish to redirect them), I'm assuming that's also best to do from an application level?

Thank you for your insight!

Cheers,

- sf