Re: Configuring multiple instances of apache on the same machine

On 7/22/07, Yaakov Chaikin <yaakov.chaikin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If you want to share an httpd binary or do other tricky stuff like
> that, then you have to be careful that the different instances don't
> share some crucial files like LockFile.

Do you have instructions on how to get this setup accomplished? Can
someone provide those or provide a URL that would explain this?

I don't think explicit instructions exist, since there is no single
way to do this.

In reality, it shouldn't be too complicated. You'll probably be safe
if you just make sure that anything in the logs/ directory is given a
different location/filename for each instance. (In fact, most
important stuff, including my LockFile example above, automatically
append the process-id to the filename, so they are safe with multiple
instances pointing in the same place.)

To be specific, you could probably get away with copying the default
httpd.conf to a new one for each instance, then changing ErrorLog,
CustomLog, and PIDFile in each httpd.conf to point to a different
location and then starting apache with apachectl -f
/path/to/httpd.conf for each config file.

Joshua.