Re: RewriteRule with a dot in URL

On 7/13/07, Thierry Kennes <tpkennes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi there,
I completely new in Apache config and all that stuff.
I've got a wiki (for example : http://wiki.thierrykennes.com)
and when I want to create a page Test.com
so that it looks like this : http://wiki.thierrykennes.com/Test.com, it
doesn't work because of the dot.

I was told to look on .htaccess about "RewriteRule" and I thought of adding
somethg like that :
RewriteRule (.*)\.(.*)$ substitution
Is my pattern right ? and also what can I put instead of "substitution" ?

Thanks a lot for your further reply.

ps: and sorry for my bad english :)

When you say "it doesn't work because of the dot", what exactly does
that mean? Your wiki software doesn't support that type of file name?
If so, you can indeed hide the true name using mod_rewrite with
something like
RewriteRule (.*)\.(.*) $1$2

I wouldn't suggest using a rule exactly like that, however, since it
could lead to undesired (and possible dangerous) rewriting. Try
something more specific like
RewriteRule ^Test\.com$ Testcom
(with the possible addition of an appropriate RewriteBase directive)
or if you use httpd.conf instead of .htaccess
RewriteRule ^/Test\.com$ /Testcom

Joshua.