Re: POST Method on Redirect (mod_rewrite) [SOLVED]

Owen,

Understood. I'll have to change our load-balance method.

Thanks so much.

Fabricio.

2007/7/12, Boyle Owen <Owen.Boyle@xxxxxxx>:
> [...]

It is expected of HTTP, not just apache... A redirect is an instruction
to the client to go to a new URL so obviously the POST data is "lost".

To explain, the client (ie, browser) attaches the POST data to the
original URL because that is what the HTML code in the form tells it to
do. When it submits that form (ie, sends the request to the server with
POST data attached), the browser is finished with that page so it
forgets about it. Then it gets an instruction to go to a new URL (the
redirect). So it simply requests this new URL (which could be on a
different server). How is it supposed to know that it has anything to do
with the original form?

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

>  Regards,
>
>  Fabricio.
>
> 2007/7/12, Nick Kew <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 11:29:57 -0300
> > SOPRO <soprobr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > >  I have the following scenario in my httpd.conf file:
> > >
> > > <VirtualHost xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80>
> > >     ServerName myapp.domain.com
> > >     RewriteEngine On
> > >     RewriteCond          %{HTTPS} !=on
> > >     RewriteRule ^/(.*) https://secure.domain.com/myapp/$1 [L,R,NC]
> > > </VirtualHost>
> > >
> > >  My clients must submit a form (POST method) to
> "myapp.domain.com",
> > > but when redirect occurs apache losts the submited values.
> >
> > That is particularly pointless.  The data have already been
> > POSTed over the wire unencrypted for all to see, and now you're
> > asking the client to re-post them encrypted.  What actually happens
> > is up to the browser, and how the user reacts to the security
> > messages.  If the data should be secure, you need to use the https
> > address in the first place.
> >
> > It's also over-complex to use three lines of mod_rewrite where a
> > single Redirect would do the same job for less effort.
> >
> > --
> > Nick Kew
> >
> > Application Development with Apache - the Apache Modules Book
> > http://www.apachetutor.org/

> > For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.