Re: redirect on /

<posted & mailed>

David Bear wrote:

> I have two goals with my apache server that I hope are not mutual
> exclusive.
>
> I use apache to proxy requests to a backend user using modproxy and
> rewrite rules. (the backend is zope) This works great. I also use apache
> to handle ssl. I also have virtual hosts, some ip based, some name based.
> My rewrite rule captures all requests to /zs and proxies them to zope.
>
> I have created html docs that have client side redirection for those
> vhosts that only serve content from from the zope back end. However, this
> redirect seems to take too long for some. So I would like to put a server
> side redirect on all requests to '/' so they are redirected to /zs which
> the rewrite rule will capture.
>
> I still want to retain the ability to serve content out of the file
> system, ie from htdocs. Will the redirect on '/' also capture requests
> for /static.html and other content that lives in the file system?
>
> There are also other redirects as well  that I want to preserve.

I think I found a possible recipe

RedirectMatch ^/$ http://myserver/zs/

Will catch everything that is http://myserver/ and not anything that is
explicitly listed after the first '/'. So I can still access content that I
know the specific url of from '/'

This seems to do what I want but I'm wondering if there is something I'm not
thinking of. If this seems a safe way to go I'd like to implement it with
at {SERVER_NAME} or other parameterized portion of the url -- so the rule
will work the same on all vhosts. Any advice appreciated.

David Bear
College of Public Programs at Arizona State University