FYI: Apache 2.2.4 / Auth LDAP / OpenLDAP 2.3.35 User authentication [solved]

Tony Stevenson schrieb:
Kamil,

Did you try anything I suggested in my last email?
Wrapping the CN in "'s, i.e   "Tony Stevenson"  or in your case "U000001 "

Yes, without success.

Also, why dont you create a group per person, and use the group option, as my other mail suggested. Both of these should work.

Because that is not what I had in mind. If I'd have to have a weird
LDAP structure in order to get this to fly (and I consider creating numerous groups for everyone who actually is in the same ou=DAV (group)
very weird) I wouldn't want to use LDAP.

Nevertheless, thanks for all the efforts but I managed to solve the matter after six more hours trial and error myself.

The "problem" was completely elsewhere and no hint in
mod_auhnz_ldap's error messages could lead you there:

LDAP Access restrictions!

My OpenLDAP defaultaccess restriction was set to none and my access rule

access to attr="userpassword"
by self write
by * compare

obviously didn't work. As soon as I set defaultaccess to write it worked. No matter how hard I try I can't get THIS out of neither
mod_authnz_ldap's nor openldap's error/debug logs.

I went mad as I set the defaultaccess restriction to write and it
just worked right away.

Well,I just have to dig deeper regarding LDAP access rules in order to get that right because I don't want the defaultaccess to be "write".

If anyone from the ldap list can tell me why this didn't work with
the following rules in slapd.conf I would really appreciate it:

defaultaccess none

access to attr="userpassword"
by self write
by * compare

access to *
by self write
by dn=".+" read
by * none

access to *
by dn="^$$" none
by * read

My testing suggested that mod_authnz_ldap needs at least compare
access in order to verify the user. READ alone does not work. I thought
that my first access rule would permit that.

Currently the passwords are stored in cleartext but I really don't
consider that productive.

Do I just have to set password-hash{MD5}in slapd.conf so that both the password storage is MD5 AND the comparison automatically use MD5 too ?

Well, I tried it anyway but to no avail.

I ask because I saw mod_authnz_ldap sending the password to compare in cleartext (tcpdump) to openldap. How does one encrypt the passwords when the comparison string is delivered in cleartext ? Does openldap automatically generate the hash of the submitted cleartext password based on the {MD5} hash descriptor stored in userPassword and THEN compare the hashes (which I would consider the expected behaviour) because I cannot tell mod_authnz_ldap to submit it hashed (well yeah except for rewriting the module), can I ?

Apart from that you're out again openldap-list, thanks.

Today I'll try to "backport" my config to the original DAV container
config and check if it's working in conjunction with DAV too
(currently I don't foresee any reasons why it shouldn't).

Also it could have been easily avoided if one of the logs could have
made more efforts to tell me that I hit access restrictions which
failed my compare. Maybe there will be some time in the future to
make verbose REALLY verbose (just my 2cents)

Have a nice day, thanks a lot for all suggestions and sorry for
cross-posting...

Kamil

--
Kamil Wencel